Sunday 31 January 2010

Interview for double page spread

Christie Inman-Hall is only 19, not that you would know it. His black rimmed glasses, bow tie and Harris Tweed Blazer give the etiquette of someone much wiser in his years. Sitting on Amplified’s black leather couch, Christie looks relaxed and tranquil about the whole interview. He ruffles his hand through his hair and utters a loud “why hello there” as we enter the room and greets us with a smile. A hand shake and a kiss on the cheek show us that Christie is well bought up and a traditionalist. Christie is the lead singer and guitarist of the band "My Dear Watson." Their first album “Long way round to nowhere” was released in 2008 and was an ultimate success, winning best album in the Amplified music awards. Christie is hoping they will have the same success with their future album called “End of the world ma.” Christie’s individuality and sophistication sure show us that there’s still a lot more to come from this young talent. Christie was keen to be interviewed after recently winning best album of the year for “Long way round to nowhere” inn the Amplified music awards.



1) How was 2009 for you?

Christie: It was long they should shorten the years down a bit.

2) Who is your biggest music influence and why?

Christie: Well, I often like to equate my work to a young Elvis Costello. I suppose there are lashings of Jarvis Cocker, perhaps an underlining influence of Chris Difford. I also like to imagine my lyrics can equal yet never surpass Ben Folds.
[Hannah, our cover star chimes in "ummm Ben Folds"]
I know right

3) Your new single "Nightmare Girlfriend" is to be released on April 4th, but what inspire you to write the song?

Christie: My work is private to me, [pauses] it's a personal catharsis. I try not to divulge my inspiration, I feel is lessons the gravitas of the song. [serious expression]

4) You are well known for you unique style, but what would you categorise your dress sense as?

Christie: I don't really tend to categorise myself - I suppose if I had to put a name on it, it'd be 'Professor-chic' nerdy, yet respectable, Just' like me... [laughs]

5) If you weren't a singer/songwriter what would your dream job be?

Christie: I'd like to be a teacher of an Actor - perhaps a professor of English or Drama.

6) Your knowledge of English is evident in the way you use your words, but which writers/authors inspire you?

Christie: I tend to find myself influenced by anything I've read, even if it's just an advert on the tube. More consciously I guess, I'm influenced by H.G. Wells and Philip K. Dick.

7) Your song "Castle Elsinore Blues" is written about Hamlet, but why does Shakespeare inspire you?

Christie: I trained to be an actor, and I fell in love with the written word - especially Shakespeare - he just wrote the most perfect words of all.

8) What's the most embarrassing thing you've done whilst performing your music?

Christie: As a guitarist, it's always really annoying to drop your plectrum - i do that a lot. [laughs] It got to the point where I was dropping my pick constantly - I felt so strongly about it that I wrote a song about it, it's called "oops (I dropped my plectrums)" - it's a hidden track on my first album. "Long way road to nowhere."

9) If you were to take a girl on a dream date, where would it be?

Christie: Where ever she wanted - dates are more of a celebration of my passion and affection for a girl, rather than an attempt to openly please myself. [winks]

10) When was the last time you played guitar?

Christie: This morning after I got out of the shower - I'd had an idea for a song. It's called "Elsalene court."

11) What do you think to social networking?

Christie: I love it - it allows me to get over my social awkwardness by typing colon-p constantly [:P]

12) When was the last time you cried?

Christie: Last night - I watched the series finale of 'Ugly Betty' - poor Matt. I'm weirdly attracted to Betty Suarez - she's so cute. [ummmm]

13) What's one think you want to do before you die?

Christie: Live

14) What plans have you got for the rest of 2010?

Christie: There's a future album coming up called "End of the world Ma" [reference to the 1949 film - White Heat - the original quote being 'top of the world Ma']

15) Are you currently single?

Christie: No. Neither can remember when we started going out but it was definitely before new year. [smiles]


No comments:

Post a Comment